NewcastleGateshead Initiative is the destination management and marketing agency for NewcastleGateshead; a public private partnership supported by Gateshead Council and Newcastle City Council, working with around 170 private sector partner organisations across NewcastleGateshead and the wider region.
All of our activity aims to promote and position NewcastleGateshead as a world-class, vibrant tourism destination, through targeted marketing and PR campaigns nationally and internationally and through the work of our cultural programming team and convention bureau. We are supported by a board offering expertise from a range of sectors and professions. We also work with a wide range of partners, stakeholders and businesses who share our ambition to promote the ‘twin cities’ of NewcastleGateshead as a world-class place in which to visit, live, learn, work and invest.
Established in 2000, we have worked hard to support the growth of the visitor economy and develop the NewcastleGateshead brand; it is estimated that visitors to NewcastleGateshead from around the UK and overseas currently contribute £1.4bn annually to the local economy (a growth of 15% or £188m since 2006).
Our corporate brand values
Our corporate brand values are a set of core qualities that sum up our personality as an organisation and the attitude we adopt in order to deliver our business goals. They encapsulate our company, employees and the way we wish to conduct and project ourselves and be perceived by others.
- Creative – in all that we do as well as in our approach to challenges and opportunities.
- Positive – relentlessly proactive and enthusiastic with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Committed – a professional and dedicated team delivering high quality work.
- Collaborative – keen to share, shape and deliver in partnership.
- Welcoming – open, accessible, friendly to all.
- Champions for NewcastleGateshead.
What does a destination marketing and management company do?
We ‘do’ partnership.
We’re one of the best examples of public-private partnership working. Representing more than 170 businesses, our partnerships cover the full breadth of the local economy and we all work together to promote NewcastleGateshead as a world class place to live, work, learn and visit, through a range of activity.
Gateshead and Newcastle upon Tyne come together as one destination through NewcastleGateshead Initiative. One destination with many stakeholders and partners who all have a vested interest in its positive profile and promotion as a world class place to live, learn work and visit.
As one of the finest examples of public-private partnership, NewcastleGateshead Initiative takes a lead role to facilitate, encourage and drive destination development and manage the collective interests of these partners. Delivering successful collaborative activity and taking responsibility as a respected authority in all areas of destination management.
Specific examples of destination management in practice:
- Tourist Information. NewcastleGateshead Initiative has responsibility for visitor information provision across NewcastleGateshead. This includes the various medium of provision i.e. online or print, and also the tourist information service, and accessibility to information by visitors and locals alike.
- Improving the welcome. Working in partnership with the North East Hotels Association, NewcastleGateshead Initiative has created and delivers a training programme called Welcome to NewcastleGateshead. A three hour workshop and two hour walking tour that upskills the destination knowledge, awareness and customer service of people who work on the front line in the visitor economy. To date over 400 people have completed this training, from taxi drivers to bar staff and hotel general managers. For more information click here.
- Driving quality. Working alongside Visit Britain and Visit England, we only promote and work with accommodation providers who are quality accredited. NewcastleGateshead Initiative has responsibility to advise and signpost operators towards quality accreditation. We also work locally to support schemes such as Best Bar None and Scores on the Doors to ensure quality service, product, experience and welcome are incorporated wherever possible.
In all of our marketing and PR activity we aim to improve the reputation and change negative perceptions of NewcastleGateshead, whether that’s regionally, nationally or internationally.
We have a number of audiences we target, each for different reasons:
- ‘Nesting cosmos’ (our name for 25-35 year old young professionals): to persuade them to come and visit, stay overnight and spend their money on weekend breaks.
- National and international conference organisers: to convince them to bring their event, and delegates, to the region.
- Local residents: to help keep them informed and tell them what’s going on in our twin-city, so they don’t miss out on any of our fantastic festivals and events.
Throughout the year we run a number of campaigns in collaboration with our partners. Some of these include:
- City-break campaigns targeting Nesting Cosmos living in cities in Scotland, Yorkshire and the North West to encourage them to take a break in NewcastleGateshead. This includes targeted marketing activity which is appropriate to the group e.g. online and radio advertising, national newspaper supplements and PR.
- Attendance at key events and trade shows to speak directly to the business events industry from across the world. Here we generate enquiries and create interest for conferences that could be hosted in NewcastleGateshead by large international associations and corporate companies.
- Specific festival and event promotion to raise the profile of key annual events held in and around NewcastleGateshead e.g. EAT! food festival, the Bridges Festival, Juice children’s festival and the Winter Festival.
Year round activity:
We carry out a number of activities that support all of our campaigns and allow us to generate interest and promote NewcastleGateshead all year round:
- NewcastleGateshead.com (this website) profiles the destination and provides ideas and inspiration on where to go, what to see and do as well as where to stay.
- Our comprehensive PR plan includes a programme of media visits from national and international journalists interested in all kinds of things our twin-city has to offer.
- We produce a printed Pocket Guide of attractions to encourage visitors to make the most of their time here, which has recently been joined by an i-App destination guide.
- We have a continued programme of digital marketing activity, which includes online advertising, monthly e-marketing campaigns and social networking activity.
- And our digital strategy also means we have better communications with local businesses and our partners, helping them to become more involved in our work and spread the word about how great NewcastleGateshead really is!
When it comes to making a decision about where to base your business, it’s not just the place and people that make NewcastleGateshead such an attractive proposition; it’s the compelling businesses benefits and the help you’ll receive from our inward investment team that make the difference.
The destination clearly offers potential investors a wonderful backdrop for their business and staff, with world-class culture, vibrant city night-life, and great transport links, all on the doorstep. Combine this with our strengths in sectors such as creative and digital, marine and offshore and science and healthcare, and our skilled workforce and competitive property prices, and you can see why so many business want to be part of NewcastleGateshead. Don’t just take our word for it though, recent NewcastleGateshead arrivals include offshore and marine specialists Technip and Flexlife, and international computer games experts, CCP.
Our team provides a bespoke service to potential and existing investors. Whether you’re looking for office space, need the inside track on what’s happening in the region, or want to know how to tap into the best talent or potential funding streams, we’re here to help.
We offer all our clients a bespoke service including:
- A single point of contact for potential investors
- Provision of research and statistics to support the development of your business case
- Advice in relation to wider costs, recruitment and staffing
- Skills and training guidance to support a sustainable and flexible labour pool
- Relocation advice, presentations and tours of the local area
- Introductions to centres of excellence, business development networks and sector specific groups
Visit www.InvestNewcastle.com for full details of our services.
NewcastleGateshead Convention Bureau is the business tourism arm of NewcastleGateshead Initiative. Our role is to promote NewcastleGateshead and the surrounding area as a first class conference destination for national and international conferences of all sizes.
Conferences are a vital part of NewcastleGateshead’s visitor economy, with the sector delivering over £238million in gross expenditure and supporting over 5,600 jobs. But conferences also provide our businesses, universities and institutions with an unrivalled opportunity to raise our profile, showcase our products and expertise and forge powerful national and international partnerships.
The Convention Bureau team undertakes a wide range of marketing, promotional and sales activity, all designed to make it easier for meeting planners to choose our area for their event. From attending trade shows and exhibitions to organising familiarisation trips, site visits and special events, producing publications, working with the meetings industry trade press to researching and bidding for major events, finding venues and booking accommodation, we are a one stop shop for conferences in and around NewcastleGateshead, providing clients with everything they need to make their NewcastleGateshead event their best yet.
For more details go to our convention bureau website.
The key ambition of the Cultural Team at NewcastleGateshead Initiative is to build on the past decade’s significant investment of £200m in the cultural infrastructure.
We engage the local population, inviting them to participate in culture, while inviting the world to visit NewcastleGateshead. We promote NewcastleGateshead as a year-round cultural centre with a world-class festivals and events programme based on our iconic locations and the river; and to become a world leader in cultural education and learning.
Festivals & Events
NewcastleGateshead Initiative has developed a huge expertise in the development, delivery, marketing and promotion of festivals and events as a foundation to its destination marketing.
Our Culture Team develop, produce and market high quality events such as the Winter Festival, EAT!, NewcastleGateshead’s Festival of Food and Drink, Juice, the Children and Young People’s Festival, Chinese New Year Celebrations, as well as continuing to develop and deliver opportunities that will arise from key anniversaries in NewcastleGateshead and future initiatives such as the London 2012 Olympic Games.
NewcastleGateshead Initiative’s festivals and events programme is funded by Gateshead Council, Newcastle City Council and the Northern Rock Foundation and specific projects in 2011/12 have received additional project support from Arts Council England, North East as well as sponsorship from the private sector.
NewcastleGateshead Initiative also works closely with cultural organisations and venues to collaboratively promote the broadest range of cultural activity to visitors and residents alike, and to ensure a more sustainable cultural sector for the future.