NewcastleGateshead Initiative is the destination management and marketing agency for NewcastleGateshead; a public private partnership supported by Gateshead Council and Newcastle City Council, working with around 170 private sector partner organisations across NewcastleGateshead and the wider region.
All of our activity aims to promote and position NewcastleGateshead as a world-class, vibrant tourism destination, through targeted marketing and PR campaigns nationally and internationally and through the work of our cultural programming team and convention bureau. We are supported by a board offering expertise from a range of sectors and professions. We also work with a wide range of partners, stakeholders and businesses who share our ambition to promote the ‘twin cities’ of NewcastleGateshead as a world-class place in which to visit, live, learn, work and invest.
Established in 2000, we have worked hard to support the growth of the visitor economy and develop the NewcastleGateshead brand; it is estimated that visitors to NewcastleGateshead from around the UK and overseas currently contribute £1.4bn annually to the local economy (a growth of 15% or £188m since 2006).
Our corporate brand values
Our corporate brand values are a set of core qualities that sum up our personality as an organisation and the attitude we adopt in order to deliver our business goals. They encapsulate our company, employees and the way we wish to conduct and project ourselves and be perceived by others.
- Creative – in all that we do as well as in our approach to challenges and opportunities.
- Positive – relentlessly proactive and enthusiastic with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Committed – a professional and dedicated team delivering high quality work.
- Collaborative – keen to share, shape and deliver in partnership.
- Welcoming – open, accessible, friendly to all.
- Champions for NewcastleGateshead.
What does a destination marketing and management company do?
We ‘do’ partnership.
We’re one of the best examples of public-private partnership working. Representing more than 170 businesses, our partnerships cover the full breadth of the local economy and we all work together to promote NewcastleGateshead as a world class place to live, work, learn and visit, through a range of activity.
Gateshead and Newcastle upon Tyne come together as one destination through NewcastleGateshead Initiative. One destination with many stakeholders and partners who all have a vested interest in its positive profile and promotion as a world class place to live, learn work and visit.
As one of the finest examples of public-private partnership, NewcastleGateshead Initiative takes a lead role to facilitate, encourage and drive destination development and manage the collective interests of these partners. Delivering successful collaborative activity and taking responsibility as a respected authority in all areas of destination management.
Specific examples of destination management in practice:
- Tourist Information. NewcastleGateshead Initiative has responsibility for visitor information provision across NewcastleGateshead. This includes the various medium of provision i.e. online or print, and also the tourist information service, and accessibility to information by visitors and locals alike.
- Improving the welcome. Working in partnership with the North East Hotels Association, NewcastleGateshead Initiative has created and delivers a training programme called Welcome to NewcastleGateshead. A three hour workshop and two hour walking tour that upskills the destination knowledge, awareness and customer service of people who work on the front line in the visitor economy. To date over 400 people have completed this training, from taxi drivers to bar staff and hotel general managers. For more information click here.
- Driving quality. Working alongside Visit Britain and Visit England, we only promote and work with accommodation providers who are quality accredited. NewcastleGateshead Initiative has responsibility to advise and signpost operators towards quality accreditation. We also work locally to support schemes such as Best Bar None and Scores on the Doors to ensure quality service, product, experience and welcome are incorporated wherever possible.
When it comes to making a decision about where to base your business, it’s not just the place and people that make NewcastleGateshead such an attractive proposition; it’s the compelling businesses benefits and the help you’ll receive from our inward investment team that make the difference.
The destination clearly offers potential investors a wonderful backdrop for their business and staff, with world-class culture, vibrant city night-life, and great transport links, all on the doorstep. Combine this with our strengths in sectors such as creative and digital, marine and offshore and science and healthcare, and our skilled workforce and competitive property prices, and you can see why so many business want to be part of NewcastleGateshead. Don’t just take our word for it though, recent NewcastleGateshead arrivals include offshore and marine specialists Technip and Flexlife, and international computer games experts, CCP.
Our team provides a bespoke service to potential and existing investors. Whether you’re looking for office space, need the inside track on what’s happening in the region, or want to know how to tap into the best talent or potential funding streams, we’re here to help.
We offer all our clients a bespoke service including:
- A single point of contact for potential investors
- Provision of research and statistics to support the development of your business case
- Advice in relation to wider costs, recruitment and staffing
- Skills and training guidance to support a sustainable and flexible labour pool
- Relocation advice, presentations and tours of the local area
- Introductions to centres of excellence, business development networks and sector specific groups
Visit www.InvestNewcastle.com for full details of our services.
NewcastleGateshead Convention Bureau is the business tourism arm of NewcastleGateshead Initiative. Our role is to promote NewcastleGateshead and the surrounding area as a first class conference destination for national and international conferences of all sizes.
Conferences are a vital part of NewcastleGateshead’s visitor economy, with the sector delivering over £238million in gross expenditure and supporting over 5,600 jobs. But conferences also provide our businesses, universities and institutions with an unrivalled opportunity to raise our profile, showcase our products and expertise and forge powerful national and international partnerships.
The Convention Bureau team undertakes a wide range of marketing, promotional and sales activity, all designed to make it easier for meeting planners to choose our area for their event. From attending trade shows and exhibitions to organising familiarisation trips, site visits and special events, producing publications, working with the meetings industry trade press to researching and bidding for major events, finding venues and booking accommodation, we are a one stop shop for conferences in and around NewcastleGateshead, providing clients with everything they need to make their NewcastleGateshead event their best yet.
For more details go to our convention bureau website.